9) On Patrol

   What does a new guardian do with a newly repaired ship, fresh riches, loads of ammunition, and updated gear? He goes patrolling. He does patrols till glimmer is dropping from his pockets and he is so loaded down with engrams that he has to go back to the tower to store some items and sell others. Oh, what are glimmer and engrams? Yeah, I guess I really didn't explain glimmer before, I just mentioned it as being a currency. Glimmer is programmable matter. Essentially, engrams are as well - they just typically have already been encoded or programmed with an item or items. Old earth physicists had long told people that matter and energy were simply different states of one another - glimmer and engrams are a brilliant application of the principle.

   So, although I could travel to the ends of the galaxy and back in moments, I was tasked with patrolling the Cosmodrome. That ugly, near-barren patch of permafrost, over-laden with the remnants and reminders of a dead society, would be my training-ground. I would respond to beacons and collect items and bounties for days, then weeks, then months. My strength grew, my weapons sharpened, and my armor became not just a thing of practical protection, but artful and elegant.

   Long hours patrolling - long hours sitting and watching targets - gave me time for thought. Where were the Fallen from? They were comfortable with Earth's atmosphere and gravity. They are larger than humans, have something that seems akin to a modified caste system. I say modified, because there appears to be some upward mobility for the most tenacious and aggressive members of the lower classes. Rarely, I would find dregs, vandals, even captains elevated - docked arms replaced, enhancements to armor, weaponry, and cybernetics. What brought the Fallen to Earth? Were they driven by need of resources? Did something more powerful push them from their home? One thing was certain, they were well armed, motivated, and they just kept coming. There was one thing for certain - they hated humanity. It was as though we had violated something they held most sacred.

   Even more baffling to me was the Hive. Occult - that is to say, hiding their true purpose - in nature, I had not seen enough to really know what to think. Their appearance sent chills down my spine and their screams, both audible and inaudible, very nearly  made me sick to my stomach. There was a certain terror in facing them - I didn't understand it. I didn't understand them, but for now, they were not my most pressing problem.

   So I mused, and patrolled, and patrolled, and mused. Then one day, a harbinger of darkness spoke. Whispers of guardians lost - their lights extinguished on the moon - were heard in the tower. Then the Speaker himself confirmed our fears and then trebled them. Yes, guardians on the moon went dark - it appeared the Hive now had more than just a foothold in the system. On top of that, a mechanical god of the Fallen had taken up residence on Earth.

   "I am sorry, but there is no time left to train you more properly." the Speaker was apologetic, "I am afraid your time has come."

Popular posts from this blog

10) The Sepiks Prime War, part 1

1) Date Unknown, Time Unimportant

5) Becoming Human - part 3